7.31.2011

The Sweetness, Substance, and Stickiness of Communion

Every week, in the midst of Communion, I can't help but notice the way the wet, sweet bread sticks in my teeth.  I partake, I remember, I say thanks, I taste the sweetness, and then I chew.  I chew some more, usually pause a second, twist my tongue to get the combination out of my molars, chew a little more, and swallow. 

Is it blasphemous to be writing about this?  Hopefully not.  I know it seems the antithesis of what one is supposed to be thinking of while receiving the sacrament, yet week in and week out I can't help but notice the stickiness of Communion... and how it illustrates to me the stickiness of Jesus.  Corny and weird, but true.

Jesus, in His holy perfection and love, will not be quickly dismissed or shoved aside.  He is dynamic, followable, and charismatic in His leadership.  His sacrifice of both body and blood on the cross binds us to Himself in the Trinity.  Essentially, He is sticky.  Our relationship with Him is one that sticks.  His followers are meant to be sticky.  So it's not too far off base that taking Communion prove to be a sticky experience.

Lingering after church today, I noticed one of the pastors' daughters dancing around the gym with a styrofoam cup full of leftover communion bread.  I then entered a conversation with a friend in which he held a few pieces of bread in hand and casually nibbled as we talked.  "It's too good to go to waste" he laughed.  Indeed, it might be the most delicious communion bread I've ever tasted.  Fresh-baked every Saturday and pleasantly sweet, it just tastes darn right good.

Please don't think RH disrespects the practice of Communion.  I like to think of God smiling at our childlike enjoyment.  In Communion, the elements become sacred symbols of blood poured out and a body broken.  They are earthly food and drink meant to aid us in remembering that Chris emptied Himself, made Himself nothing, FOR US.  Upon consumption, you also can't help but notice that the bread and juice are both sweet and substantive.  The combination tastes pleasant on my tongue and fills me. 

So I am reminded not just of Jesus' kenotic sacrifice and nature, but also of His sustenance and the sweetness of communion with Him.  Yet again, God uses the simple things to draw me in. 

Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take, eat; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.  This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.  Matthew 26:26-28. 

Taste and see that the Lord is good.  Psalm 24:8.

No comments:

Post a Comment