1.10.2011

Questions for 2011

At some point in college, I rediscovered the four types of sentences that we all learned in elementary school.  Don't you love it when you remember something like that?  The "Aha!" moment is like catching a fly midair with lightning-fast reflexes.  Victory.  Immediately, you realize that the "Aha!" feeling is innappropriate as most of the population is well aware of whatever revelation you just identified. 

So these four types of sentences used to describe our speech are nothing new, nothing groundbreaking.  But, in considering these strict categories for all verbal human communication, I discovered the magic of the interrogative sentence. It's both the key to true communication and the catalyst to learning.  It spurs conversation and inquiry and can be used to forge authentic relationships or ravenous rifts in them.  It's the sharpest kind of sentence, like that unique student in a teacher's classroom bursting with undeveloped potential.

In lieu of resolutions for 2011, I'm hanging on the coattails of this interrogative sentence idea.  I've given up on what I will do, because when doing is the focus, I will inevitably fail.

Instead, I will ask, seek, poke, prod, and question this year in hopes of putting myself before an omnipotent God with all the answers, but more importantly, who meets me in my questions. Resolving to do depicts my haughty independence one minute and my devotion the next.  Committing to ask, however, keeps me child-like and directed toward the one who answers.

So, ten days late already, I'm going to start pondering the questions I need to start asking this year.

Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened. Matthew 7

No comments:

Post a Comment