1.21.2011

What do JFK, a former youth pastor, and Jesus have in common?

Google so helpfully informed me yesterday of the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy’s inaugural address back in 1961. After a few squinty-eyed minutes trying to decipher the words artistically comprising Google’s ever-changing homepage design, I caught the familiar concluding lines:


And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.


Strong, wise, and firm, his words reminded me of a familiar, albeit less eloquent admonishment I heard frequently throughout high school from my youth pastor, Lance:

If you’re not getting something out of it, put something into it.

Do you default to this rule when found in less than engaging situations or commitments? I don’t. Of course there are specific situations that warrant a graceful “bowing out,” especially if you struggle with over-commitment or if that particular obligation poses legitimate harm. Conversely, I think both Lance and JFK were trying to prompt a paradigm shift away from the identity we have inadvertently chosen for ourselves, that of the individual as consumer.

This consumerist mentality is so ingrained in many of us that we find it difficult to escape it’s dead tight grip on our current thought and behavior patterns. It doesn’t just pertain to material possessions. We consume objects as well as ideas and experiences. Whether in formal commitments at work, church, and in the community or more generally in our relationships at home, in public, and with God, we struggle to “put something into it” when whatever “it” is hasn’t earned our attention and devotion yet or in quite some time.

We offer every excuse in the book for it. We’re tired, drained, not feeling well, busy. These excuses continue because they are accepted and understood. The person hearing it most likely feels that way too! The pariah of disengaged consumption has quietly established itself as status quo in my heart and in my world.

Jesus spoke to the antithesis of this lifestyle in Mark 10 and illustrated it throughout his life:

For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

Jesus didn't enter into conversations with women at wells and men stuck in trees expecting to be served and entertained.  He came offering abundant life, a twist on the ordinary, and the powerful image of God made flesh.  He was a passionate giver, not a passive consumer.

If you’re like me, you engage and give yourself fully to what is placed in front of you only when your excited emotions lead you to, real or false guilt forces you to, or clear incentive is immediately available. Instead of growing in this regard as life has calmed down for me recently, I’ve found myself going through the motions in many arenas without zest or vision. I consume the feelings and experiences I want and discard the rest. If the presentation isn’t compelling, I zone out instead of asking a tough question. If the conversation isn’t interesting, I recline into a passive observer role instead of proactively listening or contributing. If my work is monotonous, I adjust to a more lenient pace instead of seeking developmental opportunities.

Why? Because I’m lazy. I’m sinful. But I’m not hopeless. I’m a woman of repentance with a God on my side who bends down to help me.

With some prayer and resolve, I want to reclaim the abundant life God designed for me marked by vibrant engagement, substantial contribution, and devoted service in every relationship, conversation, and environment of which I am a part. I’m not saying I am a necessarily fascinating individual with brilliant contributions to be made, but I know the God that lives and breathes in me is exactly that. I also know that He can utilize my gifts and engaged presence in the world for His glory.

So, my prayer is something like this: God, make me zesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment