4.20.2011

A Confession and Meditation for Passion Week

The week leading up to Easter is often referred to as the Passion Week. I love this title for all the instruction and emotion packed into it. The word passion literally means to suffer. As I read through Luke’s account of Jesus’ Passion this morning, I found Jesus’ suffering that last week undeniable, beautiful, and overwhelming.

Undeniable also was my intense conviction that I have made little of Jesus’ suffering- in my head, in my conversation, in my heart. I’m part of a church that speaks the Gospel daily to each other in small and large community gatherings. While I love the commitment to the most central aspect of our faith and life, I’ve let the repetition dull my response. As with familiar news stories, I tune out when the information is not new. “Got it,” I lazily think, thus avoiding the work of listening and processing. Jesus suffered much so we could have abundant life. I don't know about you, but I for one need to meditate on this a bit.  This Passion Week, I refuse to let “Yeah, I know” or “Got it” be my response. Passion prompts a passionate response.


Jesus suffered…

Betrayal

Trickery


Mocking


Alienation


Abandonment


Loneliness


Incarceration


Injustice


Beatings


Asphyxiation


Death






So that we could be…

Redeemed


Secure


Reconciled


Free


Restored


Forgiven


Instruments


New


Ambassadors


Generous


Purposed



God, help us to remember who you are, what you've done, and who you've made us this Passion Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment