4.15.2011

A Superhero Jesus?


Seriously?  I came across this a few months ago in a game store in Carytown.  There was even a similar Moses action figure beside Jesus that I wasn't able to snag in a photo.  (The sales clerk was lurking too close for comfort).

I can't quite make up my mind about it.  Funny or insulting?  Teaching toy or trash?  Not sure. 

If we follow the line of thinking in Hebrews, Jesus is a superior version of every symbol of strength, power, beauty, and grace the Bible and the world has depicted for us.  This certainly includes man-made action heros.  Yet, when we read the Gospel of John, we are reminded that Jesus is absolutely holy, set apart, other- not to be considered in the same realm as plastic action toys.  God became like us in Jesus, yet never ceased to be God as he lived among people. 

Months later, I'm still perplexed.  There are not many things that leave me speechless, but this sight did it.  Any thoughts on Jesus as an action figure?  Would you let your kids play with him?

No comments:

Post a Comment