5.04.2011

Limits and Possibilities

I have arrived at a noteworthy point of life- the one in which I admittedly have traded in the hope of doing certain things that I read about in exchange for the reality of reading about certain things I know I will never do.

Outside magazine details many of these experiences for me.  If you have ever perused the contents of this magazine, you know what I'm talking about.  Outrageous, adventurous, and innovative, it's feature stories and cover studs initially inspire, then, as the storyline grows more captivating, inevitably remind me of the feats officially beyond the reach of my human hands.

So, here's to acceptance- both acceptance of limits as well as possibilities.  I'm noting some growth areas in myself as I journey forward past the idealism of university life.  Two years out, I can acknowledge that college lent it's ears mostly to possibility while turning a blind eye to limits.  Conversely, life gives ear to limits as well as possibilities.  I am only in my mid-20s, but I accept that limits exist for me, even now and as immaterial as they may be. 

It's officially the first time I've carefully considered and accepted the inescapable limits that accompany aging, so this post is meant to celebrate that milestone. 

Courtesy of outsideonline.com, here's a list of adventurous and skillful endeavors I will read about, but never do:

-chase down an antelope on the plains of New Mexico
-receive an Olympic gold medal
-travel the world on an international surfing tour
-run a marathon under four hours, let alone under two
-climb anything other than a carefully monitored climbing wall
-swim the English Channel
-earn the occupation of a SeaWorld trainer
-complete a full U.S. distance triathlon

The world may not be my oyster in the same way it seemed growing up, but hopeful alternatives to those I read of are within reach.  I will denote these "diet adventures," and have included at least the first few on my list of realistic possibilities below:
 
-sprint a 400 in less than 70 seconds again
-rent a surfboard, maybe purchase a lesson, and give it a try on timid VA Beach waves
-run a full marathon
-embark on the occasional camping adventure with my kids one day
-learn a new outdoor hobby and enjoy it with others
-run 1,000 miles in one year
-venture out in an African safari
-cycle from Richmond to Williamsburg on the Virginia Capital Trail
 
Adventurous?  Mildly. Realistic? Certainly.
 
It's time to come to terms with my limits and embrace possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment