5.24.2011

Pet Ownership: Frivolous or Fruitful?

Saturday morning graciously afforded me time to sleep in, and oh was it marvelous.  I hopped out of bed feeling well rested and spry, thankful for the weekend and all the promising possibilities ahead.  Light was already trickling in through the windows and the 80-something number and sun icon I saw on the weather forecast scrolled across my mind.  I made my way to the kitchen, surveying the many delicious breakfast options and the time on the oven clock that seemed overly generous.  It was one of those moments you feel as though you are the protagonist in a movie.  Not just any movie, but one with a spunky, upbeat soundtrack.  It was just that good.

While cleaning up from breakfast, I caught movement on our back porch from the corner of my eye.  A deliberate look in that direction revealed an unfamiliar, yet friendly looking dog at the door.  A step toward the door revealed another young, yellow mid-sized dog wagging his tail and finally, nose to the glass, I noticed our neighbors' sweet basset hound Miles in the middle of all the action.  The trio begged for attention, so Jeromy and I stepped outside to treat them to some lunch meat. We were smitten.  Good natured and well groomed, the dogs didn't offer much to dislike.  They were sweet, innocent, and playful.  Thus began Jeromy and I's obsession over the idea of adopting one of our own.

It must have been this movie-like moment combined with my parents' recent dog purchase that has catapulted the discussion.  Should we adopt a dog?  If so, what kind?  How much would it cost?  Could it handle apartment life?  Who will take care of it when we're out of town?  How do the pros and cons stack up?  At some point yesterday I asked Jeromy, "Do you think Jesus would adopt a dog?"

Great question.  If the Son of Man didn't have anywhere to lay His head, how would He have carried a canine around with Him from dusty city to dusty city?  I can't picture it.  But, would Jesus have owned a dog today if He were breathing, walking, talking, and residing in my neighborhood?

On one hand, pets tie you down and assert weight in decisions in which they have no place.  The answer to questions like "Should I go visit my friend two hours away to celebrate her engagement or stop by my grandpa's house on my way home from work?" should never ever be answered based on the preference of the four-legged household member.  I shudder at the thought of being absent to a person that needs a visit, place to stay, or lunch date in order to be present to an animal.  Call me cold hearted; it just doesn't seem right.  The issue of finances presents the same predicament.  I can't imagine saying no to a missionary in order to ensure a yes to purchasing dog food, and at this stage in life, most financial decisions offer either/or, not both/and options.  I want to make the right one.

Just a few minutes ago I heard yet another friendly exchange of two neighbors outside, both out granting their pooches a morning walk and happy to stop and catch up as their respective dogs sniffed each others' butts.  On the other hand, as I was reminded by my neighbors this morning, pets also draw people together by offering an easy (and cute) common denominator.  I might be too busy, rushed, or lazy to stop and make small talk, but if my dog wants to say hello, then so be it.  How funny that God would use a nonverbal creature to cultivate communication and even relationship, but it happens everyday.  I recently visited a friend in Boston and accompanied her on a "day in the life" in her occupation as a nanny.  Part of her responsibilities required daily trips to the dog park, so off to the dog park we went, with our "Chuck It" ball throwing device.  Even in this reputably harsh "fend for yourself and don't smile at me" kind of city, we were approached by another doggie parent out for a midday romp.  An easy and comfortable conversation ensued.  I won't flatter myself: It wasn't me, it was the dog.

So, would Jesus own a dog?  Should I?  I'm weighing the pros and cons, but the friendly exchanges I hear outside my window many mornings paint an alluring picture.  In the end, I know God will use either decision for my good and His glory, but I desire to follow wisely on the front end.  Is pet ownership a wide open door to loving our neighbor or a black hole for valuable energy, money, and time?




From top to bottom, Ms. Iowa, Sammy, and Edgar, just a few of the Richmond Animal League adoptees ready and waiting to be adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment