2.25.2012

Springtime=Lenttime


Did you know Lent means springtime?  I didn't know that, and was frankly surprised since I mainly associate the 46 days leading up to Easter with self-deprivation and the last few bleak weeks of winter.  It's something we have to grin and bear before we make it to the good stuff, that being sunny, 60 degree days and an Easter dress.

It makes sense though.  The Christian practice of fasting in various forms during Lent is not meant to end in deprivation, but in a feasting on the things that really matter and truly satisfy: Christ, His sacrifice, our mission with Him.

In the season of Lent, the Christian practices a turning from dependence on earthly things to a renewed dependence on Christ for identity, comfort, and the riches of grace.  With the rest of my RH family, I've been giving up treats and other forms of self indulgence this week to begin the Lenten journey and hopefully to remind me that real comfort and security is found in Christ... NOT in a neverending bowl of Espresso Chip Edy's ice cream. 

God has been meeting me this week as I give up some good things and concentrate on what is better.  No desserts, no wine, no 50 cent candy bar purchases from the vending machine at work to help me make it through the day.  The Father's grace is what does that.

Among other things, I realized that I talk about cravings as if they were needs, and in so doing, I've tricked my mind to think that is true. God has quickly reminded me and my belly that He is what I need.  So far, I am abundantly more free without the inordinate amount of sugar and high fructose corn syrup.  In moments of stress or fatigue however, I'm greedy for a little fix, a second of cocoa heaven to de-stress or re-energize.  Thanks God, that you have something better for us than a sugar rush.  Sorry for forgetting. 

If you aren't used to practicing Lent, check out http://redemptionhill.com/lent/ to download the guide and jump in!

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:34

No comments:

Post a Comment