9.14.2009





Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in posting. I've been without internet on my computer until a nice man named Ihmad, who happens to be a computer genius, fixed it yesterday.

It hasn't been until the last few days that I've really started to feel comfortable here. The culture shock has been a lot more than anticipated, and the language barrier has been a steep one to traverse. The pictures above highlight some events from the week. Friday night we hosted youth group at Janee and Hary's home. It was a fun night, with lots of games and pizza. The youth are so fun, and really committed to each other. Earlier last week, Janee and I met with a woman with a Muslim background who is new to the church, and asked to study Scripture with her. She made us tea and we read through John 1 together, asking each other questions and discussing whatever topics came up from the text. It was a very meaningful time together. Janee and I spent one day in Bruge, with the canals and cobblestone streets. It is a very nice and touristy area, very different from where I live!
Because English classes haven't begun yet, most of what I've been doing is joining Janee and Hary to meet with women and families in their homes, or hosting whoever decides to stop by the house one day. Yesterday, we had a big Lebanese lunch with 9 Arab men from the church, which I greatly enjoyed. Three of them are getting baptized next week. Many of the single men in the church have a close community and brotherhood, and I desire to see that for the women, although it remains more difficult to create.
Janee and I are taking a day of rest today, and going to find some American food on the other side of the city. I will update you all again soon thanks to this lovely invention I now enjoy on my computer called the internet.

1 comment:

  1. Claire! I wish I could write to you in french, however, I think I forgot most of it...so sad! I'm praying for you and the people you encounter lots and hoping your language skills come around quickly so you can start speaking into people's lives! Have a great day; we miss you here. What's your address?
    Ali B

    ReplyDelete