9.05.2009

J'ai arrivé!


That means: "I have arrived" in French. French is the common language here shared by immigrants and white Belgians alike. I will need to learn it quickly in order to function outside of my apartment.

To say my first two days have been a blur is an understatement. My flight went smoothly, and following Janee's advice, we spent the entire day touring Brussels to keep me moving and keep my awake so I could get over jet lag faster. The center of the city is very old and parts of it are very pretty with impressive buildings and cobblestone streets, but it will have to grow on me. Just walking through it made me a bit sad. There is something dark about it. To smile at someone you pass on the street is unheard of, and materialism seems to be worshipped everywhere I look.

Last night, I accompanied Janee and Hary to visit a man in the church who just had surgery, and we ended up spending a few hours visiting him and 18 other of his extended family members. Their family was warm, loving, and although it was difficult to actually speak to anyone, I enjoyed sitting with them and playing with the kids.

To make this process easier for everyone, I will introduce you to my new friends so you can visualize my life here a little better. Above is a picture of Janee and Hary, the M's I live with. Hary is from Syria and speaks Arabic, French, and a bit of English. He is very sweet, eager to help, and loves to make me laugh. He will be in my level 2 English class beginning in a few weeks! Janee grew up in Illinois and has spent time doing missions in Africa and here in Brussels. She has been a great teacher for me so far and a comfort to be around.
Please pray for me to be able to pray. My brain is in overdrive taking so much in. It's been difficult to focus when trying to talk to God and even know when I can set aside time to do that. All I can seem to meditate on is the phrase, "God is my strength."
Tonight is Arabic Bible Study (a small group through the church) and tomorrow will be the actual church service. I'm eager to meet church members, study, and worship with them. I'll update you again when I have internet (I'm currently on Janee's computer).

*Correction: People here drive on the same side of the road as we do in the United States.

2 comments:

  1. A message from my mom:

    You did the right thing repeating to yourself that God is your strength. All you need to do is say "Help me" and God answers. Even though you are too overwhelmed to pray, He knows your thoughts, your heart, and all your need. The Spirit is interceding for you. Soon you will be able to think more clearly and share your heart with Him. Remember that He is holding you tighly in His hand, so tightly that your name is engraved there. Isaiah 49:16.

    Love and hugs, Dede

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Claire!
    So glad that you have arrived and already running strong! Thanks for the blog - great way to get us updated and let us know what to pray for you. Tell Janee I said hello (if she remembers me)!

    And remember, strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord!

    John Mark

    ReplyDelete